2020 was a year like no other in our lifetime and, if you’re like a majority of Americans, you are probably hoping for a fresh start in the new year. With the coronavirus pandemic ravaging the global economy and wiping out our social calendars, celebrating milestone events will no doubt have a different feel. When you’re shopping for birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions, consider supporting local businesses. According to Fortune, nearly 100,000 establishments that temporarily shut down due to the pandemic are now out of business.
The math for buying close to home is compelling—for every $100 spent at a locally-owned business, $73 remains in the local economy, and $27 leaves. Compare that to the same $100 spent at a non-locally owned business, where $43 remains in the local economy and $57 leaves.
Many local businesses are cognizant of the pandemic and are offering curbside pickup, delivery options, and more online choices. Here are the top 10 reasons to shop local, according to The Local Good.
1. Local Economic Stimulus. When you purchase at locally owned businesses rather than nationally owned, more money is kept in the community because locally-owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses, service providers and farms. Purchasing locally helps grow other businesses as well as the local tax base.
2. Non Profits Receive Greater Support. Local business owners donate more to local charities than non-local owners.
3. Unique Businesses Create Character & Prosperity. The unique character of your local community is defined in large part by the businesses that reside there, and that plays a big factor in your overall satisfaction with where you live and the value of your home and property.
4. Environmental Impact Is Reduced. Small local businesses usually set up shop in the town/village center, providing a centralized variety that is much friendlier to a community’s walk score than out of town shopping malls. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, and pollution.
5. Most New Jobs Are Provided By Local Businesses. Small local businesses are the largest employers nationally. Plus the more jobs you have in your local community the less people are going to have to commute which means more time and less traffic and pollution.
6. Customer Service Is Better. Local businesses often hire people with more specific product expertise for better customer service. You are also going to see these people around town and they are less likely to blow you off or be rude because they have to face you day after day.
7. Local Business Owners Invest In Community. Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s welfare and future.
8. Public Benefits Far Outweigh Public Costs. Local businesses require comparatively little infrastructure and more efficiently utilize public services relative to chain stores.
9. Competition And Diversity Leads To More Consumer Choices. A marketplace of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term.
10. You Matter More. We talk a lot about exerting influence with your purchasing choices, or “voting with your wallet.” It’s a fact that businesses respond to their customers but your values and desires are much more influential to your local community business than the large big box stores.
EQ Heights is a social house and we love all our customers and your support! We serve great coffee, teas, and sweet and savory treats in a welcoming atmosphere where people can connect with friends. Local groups and educators are encouraged to contact us about hosting meetings and seminars at EQ Heights. Visit our website for more information and view our calendar of events. EQ Heights is committed to reducing our trash and impact on the environment with the reduction of straws. We now offer sip cup lids, compostable cups, to-go recyclable plastic, as well as sell reusable tumblers. We use ceramic in-house. We need help from our customers and appreciate any feedback they may have. Our commitment to reducing waste is what sets us apart. We strive to be a socially aware neighborhood coffeehouse. Visit us online today!